Sunday, April 16, 2017

cultural differences- going dutch or Chinese term "AA"

Farewell lunch for a lovely Norwegian girl

10 Years ago, I lived on campus- Chisholm College.

A very pretty Norwegian girl invited our floor mates for farewell lunch.

“Sounds great, I love it.”

When I went to the Uni canteen, my friends were queuing up in front of the canteen counter paying their own meal.

“Is that real?” I wondered, “We have to pay ourselves?”

In China
In my memory of China, when I attended birthday or farewell parties,cheap nfl jerseys, I bought one gift, the host would definitely provide a nice meal.

Aussie friends' birthdays

Once more, the time I attended one Aussie friend’s birthday party, my friend’s siblings, parents, relatives and friends were invited.

To my surprise, each guest paid own dish including my friend’s family members.

That would be the great honour if my friend received cups of free drinks in the restaurant from the people who attended the birthday party.

Once more, on one Aussie girl’s birthday, I bought her a gift, she bought guests drinks and entree platters for share, but I would not expect a free main dish from her —I’d pay my own.

In China

However, In China, the birthday person or married couples will pay for everything from entrĂ©e to the main meal, dessert, fruits, drinks  even cigarettes.

In return, cheap snapbacks, guests will either buy a luxury gift or simply gives him or her red packet for Lucky money which is most popular.

In recent years, it has become increasingly stressful for both sides.

Because the food is getting better and more expensive in the restaurant which also causes the burden for guests as the red packet is becoming bigger and bigger, and sometimes it occupies a big percentage for a low-income earner.


My childhood- Chinese New Year

One of the biggest things in my childhood was Chinese New Year’s Day as I could have a few days’ feast at my Uncle’s house. (Well, that's because we usually didn't have sufficient food available that time, so New Year's day was the happiest moment.)

I do appreciate my Uncle, Aunt and others who spent the efforts, cheap replica oakleys, time and energy for preparing nice meals: 2 big tables for adults and 1 small table for kids (total around 30 people).

For Aussies, you might be surprised about that, we did give them some unprepared food and contributed a little bit cash.

Whereas we didn’t give them help except chatting, eating, playing cards, listening to the live music some relatives' playing.

Christmas Lunch with one Aussie friend's family

I used to take it for granted until I attended a Christmas dinner at one Aussie friend’s house, then I realized how comfortable life that was.
For a Christmas lunch at my friend’s place was pretty simple, it was like a potluck, each household brought a few dishes for share.

The Aussie family did organize very well beforehand, for example, one family prepared roasted meat, another one made desserts, or someone brought fruits, snacks, wholesale nfl jerseys, the rest prepared salad or cheese platter etc.

At the end of the day, everyone brought leftover home, so it’s simple and easy, which won't take a huge amount of time for the host.

In Daily life

When I had dinner at restaurants with one girl friend who has just been back from China, she insisted on paying for my part, but I said:“Let’s just split the bill, I prefer a simple friendship.”

Because we don’t have to remember that we owe each other a meal, then one day we might have to arrange the time to buy back the meal.

For splitting the bill, we can meet at any time, any restaurant, even someone else can join, which is really easy and flexible.

Chinese tradition

In China, someone with overseas' background, or young generation, or people who work in foreign-run companies are likely influenced by western culture- paying for themselves when going outside with colleagues, classmates and even friends.

The elder generation, cheap nfl hats, the Chinese culture lovers have the idea that men are supposed to pay ladies for the restaurants as they think men should be generous, look after ladies.

“That’s so mean, ask a lady share bill with me? No, I pay for all.” I would expect my dad absolutely say that to me.

I know, he’s a very traditional responsible most kind gentleman.

In China, when close friends dining out, it is quite normal, one person paying for this time, the others paying next time in order to keep a long lasting friendship, sounds good idea.

My experience in Australia

In Australia, from my experience with Aussie good friends,cheap oakley sunglasses, we split the bill, I am used to it actually and pretty much enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment